Back to all reports

Excessive speeds

Reported in the Road Traffic Signs and Road Markings category anonymously at 08:49, Wednesday 5 August 2020

Sent to Oxfordshire County Council less than a minute later

I’ve lived in Henwood on the B4017 for approx 35 years, and the speed of passing traffic, particularly since lockdown and then the gradual return to work has got faster. The drivers totally ignore any 30mph limits (or they’ve forgotten the Highway Code). When driving at 30mph, you get tailgated, or passed at speed in dangerous situations. The local pcso has no effect, because as soon as drivers spot him they slow down, and once passed speed up again. We need a speed camera, or one of those visual signs at both ends of the village, or a proper police speed check presence. There are families with young children, the elderly walking on narrow unkempt footpaths. How long before an accident?

Council ref: ENQ20872839

RSS feed of updates to this problem Receive email when updates are left on this problem.


  • Thank you for your enquiry. This issue has been passed onto the relevant team for investigation.

    State changed to: Investigating

    Posted by Oxfordshire County Council at 08:49, Wednesday 5 August 2020

  • Thank you for your report. I am assigning your request, for a pair of 'reactive to speed' lit signs on the B4017 in Henwood, to the Street Lighting Team to assess. With regards to your request for a speed camera, or a proper police speed check presence. You should contact Thames Valley Police not Oxfordshire County Council. You can contact them on the non-emergency phone number 101. If you are deaf, deafened, hard of hearing or have a speech impairment, a text phone is available on 18001 101.

    Posted anonymously at 13:47, Monday 10 August 2020

Provide an update

Your information will only be used in accordance with our privacy policy

Next: Tell us about you

or No personal details will be stored, and you will not receive updates about this report.

Your update

Tell us about you

Do you have a FixMyStreet password?