Back to all reports

Unsafe unlit footpath

Reported in the Street lighting category anonymously at 18:26, Saturday 19 October 2019

Sent to Oxfordshire County Council 3 minutes later

The path from Harding way to Howard Cornish road is not suitable to walk along when it’s dark. You can’t see where you are going at all and it’s dangerous! Especially with all the over hanging bushes, slippery leaves and big branches that keep falling from the trees. I use this footpath a lot in the evenings and don’t feel safe walking along it as I can’t see anything.

RSS feed of updates to this problem Receive email when updates are left on this problem.


  • Unfortunately Oxfordshire County Council does not have any funds available at this time to install additional lighting as our street lighting budget is used for the energy, cost and maintenance of our existing street lights.

    However if the Parish Council were prepared to fund the initial installation /servicing costs and pay a commuted sum (this is an upfront sum to cover future maintenance costs) we would be prepared to take on future energy and maintenance costs for that lighting as long as it is installed on the public highway and to our specification.

    In rural areas new lighting will only be provided in consultation with the local councils. A test will be whether it is necessary (for road safety or security reasons), affordable and sustainable

    It may also be worth contacting Thames Valley Police to see if they would be prepared to fund the initial installation and servicing costs if this area is known as an accident ‘hotspot’ or if it is an anti-social behaviour area.

    Please accept our apologies that we cannot assist any further at this time.

    State changed to: Investigation complete

    Posted anonymously at 10:00, Monday 21 October 2019

Provide an update

Please note that updates are not sent to the council. Your information will only be used in accordance with our privacy policy

Next: Tell us about you

Your update

Tell us about you

Do you have a FixMyStreet password?