Back to all reports

Dog walkers consistently parking in narrow road obstructing access for residents

Reported in the Roads/highways category anonymously at 13:13, Sat 14 September 2019

Sent to Oxfordshire County Council 2 minutes later

Problem parking where dog walkers’ vehicles are obstructing road has escalated in recent months. Constant obstruction to resident access and today I was unable to get my vehicle out so was unable to attend to a family emergency (see photographs.) I would suggest that double yellow lines are now appropriate and necessary on this road.

Council ref: ENQ19842589

RSS feed of updates to this problem Receive email when updates are left on this problem.


  • Thank you for your enquiry. This issue has been passed onto the relevant team for investigation.

    State changed to: Investigating

    Posted by Oxfordshire County Council at 13:15, Sat 14 September 2019

  • Thank you for your enquiry. If you have been prevented from exiting your property this would be a matter for the police, who may be reluctant to enforce but should respond to a request from your local council to monitor the parking situation in your road. To introduce yellow lines a new Traffic Regulation Order would need to be drawn up and advertised during a formal consultation process where comments would be invited from affected parties. If no objections are received, the TRO can be brought into operation with new road markings and appropriate signage. If there are objections, these would be reported at the appropriate Committee where a decision would be made, taking into account levels of support and opposition. If there is significant opposition it is likely that the proposal would be rejected at committee. The cost for this process regardless of the outcome is currently £3,120 to cover legal work, consultation and associated procedural/ administrative functions. On top of this would be the cost of the lining and signing work. OCC has no resources for this work as a county scheme but would be able to pursue if external funding is made available. Your county councillor may be able to assist in this regard. I would recommend contacting your parish council as the onus would be on them to propose a scheme which suits local needs and ensure that there is general support. We can then act in an advisory capacity and carry out the required legal work. Unfortunately the whole process can take anywhere from six months to a year.

    State changed to: Investigation complete

    Posted by Oxfordshire County Council at 09:51, Wednesday 8 January 2020

This report is now closed to updates. You can make a new report in the same location.